I have published a video of the February 3, 2024 Meeting.
Earl Theiss has got permission for us to search the area around the Mining and Railroad museum this Saturday November 25th 2023 at 10am. Hope to see you there.
Also, don't forget to let Betty Goolsby know what you are bringing to potluck.
I know several members that have asked my oppinion on getting a new metal detector, so in this video I share my opinion, but here is why.
Tom's 2023 Ranking
- Nokta Legend - The Nokta Legend is priced at $600 dollars and you get wireless headphones (and $499 without headphones), a flashlight, a clock on a detector that is similar in capabilities to the 800 (which costs $999). So far, the Legend has matched signals with the Equinox successfully on 69 of 70 holes in varied settings. Keep in mind that Nokta just came out with its first round of updates and the Equinox has had multiple versions already. The Equinox might be more capable than the Legend (that remains to be seen) but the value goes to the Legend. The Manticore and the Deus 2 are triple the price of the Legend.
- Minelab X-Terra Pro - For a Detector that is under $300, I rate this machine a 5 out of 5 but it does have a couple problems that I have noticed. The VDI is all over the place and not at all stable. BUT., With a little tinkering, I was able to make the machine quite stable. One thing for sure, this is a very sensitive machine. What I have discovered is to turn the sensitivity down, but not so far down that you are loosing deep targets. I find that in most cases I run mine at around 14 to 17. The second thing to do to get the VDI more stable is to Check and set the (AU) Freq now and then or anytime you make a change. Also, do a manual ground balance even with ground tracking now and then. If the VDI starts to jump around then experiment with these menu items. The other thing I do not like about the exterra pro is that there is little or no bottle cap rejection. This is where you really need to pay close attention to your tones.
- XP Deus 2 - I took points off for being so expensive, retails around $1500. I do believe that the Deus 2 is the most capable metal detector on the market as of November 2023. But how much more capable is it than the Legend which sells at 1000 dollars less? Again this is the top detector on the market right now. It is totally wireles, waterproof to 66 feet, lightwieght and offers the best perfomance.
- Nokta Macro Simplex + - This metal detector has the best relative value on the market. I can't believe how much value and simplicity you get for 250 dollars!
- Minelab 700 and 900 - The Equinox was the gold standard for the market in early 2022, so its price point can and will affect other detector's price points. The Nokta Legend is priced at $599 dollars and you get wireless headphones, a flashlight, a clock on a detector that is similar in capabilities to the 800 (which costs $899). The Legend has matched signals with the Equinox successfully on 99% of targets in varied settings.The Equinox might be more capable than the Legend (that remains to be seen) but the value goes to the Legend. A very difficult question for me to answer is do I prefer a Equinox 700 at $699 to a Legend at $599. I still would lean Legend for value purposes even though you get a slightly more capable detector with the Equinox 700.
Just a note on here is that hte Minelab Maticore is the top of the Minelab line, it has been a huge dissappointment for many. Mostly due to the seperation of iron and 2D display. The XP Deuse 2 is the best choice int e$1500 range.
Anyway please watch my video and like and subscribe to my channel for more detector news.